Friday, March 07, 2014

The evolution of Raleigh's burger scene

I'm a sucker for burgers. It's hard for me to turn them down. If I'm struggling to find something on a menu, chances are, I'll go with a burger. Those things just seem to have an almost-gravitational pull on me.

That's my (embarrassing) way of saying that I eat a lot of them, so I feel like I know this subject well. Every now and then, I like to discuss which places in town have the best burgers. I do this for purely selfish reasons: I want to sample them all.

But to get to that point, you have to generate discussion. So, for at least the third time since this blog started in '06 (GOOD LORD!), below are my thoughts on the best spots for burgers.

The really interesting thing is to see how this discussion has evolved in 8 years. Back in '06, I paid homage to the likes of Char-Grill, Fuddruckers, Wendy's (I know, I know) and NoFo at the Pig before claiming Five Guys as the best.

Four years later, in 2010, we revisited this topic again. At that time, I still went with Five Guys as the best burger in town, but with You The Reader chiming in with the likes of Char-Grill, Coquette, Fuddruckers, McDonalds, Steak-n-Shake, 518 West, Player's Retreat, Red Robin and others.

Well, it's been four years. So where are we now? The Fudd is gone (from Raleigh, at least). I still love Char-Grill, Mo-Joe's is terrific, and I was blown away by the Mecca's burger when I finally ate there after WAY too long. The Cowfish and Bad Daddy's have both raised the bar on creative burger offerings, which speaks to how Raleigh's tastes have become more sophisticated. Heck, you can't go wrong with any of those. But Five Guys has been supplanted. And it's because of the savory superiority of Chuck's. Man, oh man is that good.

So what say, you? Am I off-base? Am I missing out? Please let me know. I may need a good dinner option for Saturday night!


(Image from Chuck's website)

5 comments:

Ashton said...

The Borough makes an awesome burger.

M. Lail said...

Good to know!

Sara said...

Once upom a time, Brewmasters was best...the one with avocado and fried egg. There were some memu changes however, so not sure if they still reign supreme. Worth checking out though.

M. Lail said...

I'm annoyed at myself that I left Brewmasters off the list, Sara. In fact, I'm going there Wednesday b/c it's so good!

M. Lail said...

Sara, we hit Brewmasters tonight and I had the Hangover. It was PHENOMENAL!